Many people think of gatorade as the go to electrolyte replacement or sport drink. What most people don’t realize is how much sugar is in Gatorade and other sport drinks. A regular gatorade will have more than 30g of sugar in each bottle! Yeah, that’s a lot. The sugar is in there is to help fuel athletes in very specific situations such as workouts lasting greater than 1 hour. For the average person, 30g of sugar during a workout is way too much. That is why I make my own “gatorade” at home for those shorter, but still intense workouts. This Gatorade replacement not only tastes good, but also replaces most of the electrolytes lost.
- 1L water
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbs natural maple syrup or honey
- juice of lemon or lime (or whatever flavourings that you prefer)
- Additional: cayenne pepper (1/8 tsp)
- Combine all ingredients in a water bottle and enjoy.
- If you want a bit of fizz consider adding carbonated water.
If you are looking to maximize your training and nutrition, click the link below to book a virtual consultation with me!
Yours in health,